From: ONTBIRDS [mailto:birdalert-boun...@ontbirds.ca] On Behalf Of Kelly
Morrissey
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2015 1:10 PM
To: birdalert@ontbirds.ca
Subject: [Ontbirds] Trumpeter Swans - YES (Windsor)

Just got back from Lakeview Park Marina in Windsor. Carmen L. and I and a
knowledgeable bystander all observed between 20 and 30 Tundra Swans, most of
them close to the east side of the parking lot where cracked corn was being
offered. On the other side, the west side of the parking area, were three
Trumpeter Swans, none tagged that we could see. She got photos. We were able
to do a wonderful side-by-side comparison of head shape, bill shape, the way
the eye is more incorporated into the bill on the Trumpeter while looking
more like a ball at the end of a black stem on the Tundra. We also were able
to compare the two when they were looking straight in our direction.shape of
the white forehead being more U shaped versus more V shaped on the
Trumpeter.  Great ornithology lesson for a couple of intermediate birders.

Also present were Canvasback, Redhead, Common Goldeneye, Bald Eagle, a
single Red-breasted Merganser sticking very close to the piers for excellent
viewing, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, etc.

Lakeview Park Marina is at the base of Riverdale Avenue and is on Riverside
Drive East. Here is a map.

http://tinyurl.com/mwj3lnu

Kelly Morrissey, Windsor