--- Begin Message ---
While birding Lake Ontario from the piers at the south end of Etobicoke Creek I
found two Eared Grebes.  One in non-breeding bird plumage was feeding 30 to 50
m off shore: black cap (peaked at front) and sides of head to just below the
eye to bill and extending down sides of face to close to neck, white throat;
throat light gray in front; dark gray in back. An obviously more rounded head
the than the "oblong" head shape of nearby Horned Grebes. One the most obvious
field marks was the white crescent extending vertically across the back of the
head. The second EAGR was about 50 m further out and to the east ... and had a
much darker neck with the feathered 'ears' just starting to growing in, which
was visible only a few times when the sun hit the head on a diagonal. This
first one may have been the one that Luc Fazio saw this morning at Lake
Promenade Park just to the west of this park and at the time that he saw it, he
indicated that it was moving in this direction. If you fail to find these birds
tomorrow, morning I would check the areas of near-shore waters just west of
Colonel Samuel Smith Park where I saw a lot of Horned and Red-necked Grebes
after I left Marie Curtis Park.

Directions: the park is located a few blocks sw of the Brown's Line and
Lakeshore Boulevard.  To access the parking lot nearest the mouth of Etobicoke
Creek, the road leading into park of 42nd Street.

Wayne Renaud (waynerenaud1...@aol.com)

--- End Message ---