22 people met at Andrew Haydon Park for a pleasant afternoon of birding.With
thin overcast, a mild breeze from the southeast and mild late fall
temperatures, we explored the south shore of Lac Deschenes.Viewing conditions
were good, and birds were reasonably cooperative. The water levels remained
relatively low exposing good shorebird habitat.   Although diversity was
slightly low, there was plenty to keep us entertained. We started off with a
flock of 12 Black Scoter and an adult Snow Goose. The group struggled to view
one Cackling Goose amongst the thousands of Canada Geese. However, we were
later graced with one classic Richardson's Cackling Goose at very close range.
Other highlights include 7 White-rumped Sandpipers, 8 Dunlin, 2 Horned Larks,
Black-bellied Plover, Greater Yellowlegs, Red-necked Grebe, Common Loon, Bald
Eagle and Black-crowned Night-Heron. The evening ended with thousands of geese
flying into Lac Deschenes, mainly from the west.
Total Species = 34
Good Birding
Tony Beck & Nina StavlundAlways An Adventure Inc.http://alwaysanadventure.ca