Birders,

On Sunday, 25 October 2015 (1030 hrs) I relocated what was probably the same
PACIFIC LOON that Frank Pinilla reported a few days ago – on the Barrie
waterfront. I saw this bird from the north shore of Kempenfelt Bay (Lake
Simcoe) near where St. Vincent street dead-end’s at the lake. The bird was
several hundred metres from shore, to the south south-east. I have been to the
waterfront on five days over past week and this was the first time this year I
was able to find this always elusive bird. I watched it for less than 10
seconds, when it dove – never to be seen again. Patience and a spotting scope
are definitely required.

The now long-staying (7 days) PARASITIC JAEGER was also seen again on the
morning of the 25th. This juvenile, light morph bird often sits on the water,
but also puts on great aerial shows, chasing our hundreds of Bonaparte’s Gulls
or our easily found dozen or so (adults and juveniles) LITTLE GULLS. This
jaeger seems to spend a lot of time between Minet’s Point Park on the south
shore of the bay and the marina on the west end of the bay. It routinely flies
up and down the bay, but viewing and access points are better along Lakeshore
Drive along the south shore (Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club, Tiffin St. boat
launch, etc.).

As it does each fall, the bay is now also hosting hundreds of Common Loons,
many Red-necked Grebes and a good variety of ducks and gulls. I’ve heard
reports of a lone, juvenile Snow Goose this week in the west end of the bay
(Centennial Park). There are also reportedly ‘very many’ scaup at the eastern
mouth of the bay, well to the east of downtown Barrie. On the 24th I had a
fly-by BLACK SCOTER at Minet’s Point Park.

Barrie is on Highway 400 about one hour north of Toronto. The waterfront can be
reached by taking exit 94 (Essa Road) to the northeast for about 2  km until
you reach the lake. There are several public pay-parking areas along the north,
south and west shores in the city.

Burke Korol
Barrie, ON

---