At 3:30 this afternoon I found a female Smew on the St. Lawrence River
about 5 km west of Cornwall.  I watched it for about 15 minutes
feeding within about 50 m of shore and managed a few terrible
digiscoped photos.  The bird was loosely associating with a small
group of Common Mergansers and Common Goldeneye.  It eventually flew
out further into the river and joined a larger group of diving ducks.

Jacob

Directions:  Seen from Highway 2 between Cornwall and Long Sault.
Just west of Fickes Road, there is a short, open stretch of river that
is viewable from the highway.  There is also a bike path here.  This
is a busy stretch of road, so it may be best to park on Fickes Road
and walk the short distance to the west.