Good evening ONTBIRDS subscribers,

I thought that Ontario's birders (and those outside Ontario who may want to
visit) should have all available information regarding such a rare species
for eastern North America (even anywhere outside the Aleutian Islands,
Alaska). Whether this changes your mind on the provenance of the bird on
the St. Lawrence River or not is your respective opinion.

I started looking into it because I recalled a note from someone after the
Whitby Harbour bird sightings (which I twitched too), speaking to a couple
of escaped collector's Smew at that time.

I've done some searching through ebird to see what other sightings have
been noted in eastern North America, because I would think that with a
Eurasian species such as this, there would be more sightings along the east
coast, with relatively fewer in the interior of the continent (as with
species like Tufted Duck).  It became immediately obvious that this was not
the case and that only two sightings came from the coast, one was
well-reported in Newport, Rhode Island in 1976, with 1 report from a little
west of that site in 1978, also in Rhode Island.  Outside of those two
sightings there have been no other reports from the east coast (in ebird).
The remainder of eastern North American sightings come from the Great
Lakes, starting with one in 1960 along the Niagara River, another at
Normandale (Long Point area) in 1973 and then the last 3 in 2011 (Whitby),
2012 (Long Point) & 2015 (Cornwall). There was also one noted from the
western tip of Lake Superior in Wisconsin back in 2000.
Link to ebird Smew sightings here: http://goo.gl/1V2YzM

It is possible that there are other sightings of Smew that have not been
accepted and thus don't show up in ebird in a quick search like I've done
but with such a rare bird, all big listers and serious birders living
within a couple of hours reach (and beyond) of a bird this rare in North
America, would be out twitching, many of which would have uploaded those
sightings to ebird.

I then searched for Smew with waterfowl collectors and found a Rosemary
Miner who owns a huge aviary in New York State, about 50km south of
Buffalo, with a direct line to the Lake Erie shoreline being about 40km as
the Smew flies.  I decided to e-mail Ms. Miner to ask whether she's lost
any waterfowl lately, and the response was a bit of a shocker, she
immediately said that she had lost a female Smew approximately 1 month ago
when a tree fell on the aviary and tore it open.  She does not pinion her
birds...the two aviaries are so large that she has her ducks & geese flying
from one to another - her website claims that she has the largest aviary in
the world.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I'd love to add this species to my
list as much as the next birder, but this information, in my opinion is key
to understanding this bird's provenance - I think too coincidental for it
to be a truly wild bird, but once again, this is your decision.

I post this to ensure other birders make a fully-informed decision upon
whether they make the trek to look for this bird near Cornwall, Ontario.

Best regards & good birding,
Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

PS - I did ask whether she had any Pink-footed Geese in her collection, to
which she said no and I also asked whether she knew of any others with
PFGO, she said no.