The phenomenon of the loons continued this morning. I was out early watching
and recorded the following over my Scugog home:

Red-throated Loons – 44
Common Loons – 3
unidentified loons 7

While the number of Red-throated Loons seems incredible, there are recent
sightings along the Lake Ontario shore in recent years that support this number
of birds. I reported on one of those events on May 24th. Others responded to me
in private with similar observations. Last year a large number was observed on
approximately this same date along the Lake Ontario shore.

Barr, J. F., C. Eberl, and J. W. McIntyre in Bird so North America reported
that the Red-throated Loon usually migrates inland at altitudes of 1,000–1,700
m and at high speed and in loose aggregations. All of the birds I noticed today
fit this pattern. The skies were slightly overcast and the light excellent so
that even at the great distance I was able to see the detail I needed to ID
them. Flight posture (head below the horizontal) was evident on most of the
birds.

Red-throated flocks sizes ranged between 19, 13, 7 and 5. All the Commons were
singles and flew at a much lower elevation and later than the majority of the
Red-throated Loons which flew between 05:51 a.m. to 06:33 a.m. with most
between 05:51 and 5:53 a.m.  The Commons passed between 06:19 and 07:05 a.m.

If anyone has other late May records  could you please email me privately.

Geoff Carpentier
AVOCET NATURE SERVICES

Contact me at: 905-852-2011 or avocetnatureservi...@gmail.com
Visit my website: www.avocetnatureservices.com

Specializing in Environmental & Natural History Surveys and
Expedition & Personalized Guiding Services