--- Begin Message ---
Hi everyone,
The weather forecast for yesterdays outing looked worse than terrible.
Regardless 17 birders met with me at Colonel Samuel Smith Park (CSSP), just as
the rain started.
Fortunately for us the rain was only a light drizzle, unfortunately the main
land portion of the park was unusually quiet. We did manage a Philadelphia
Vireo and a Bay-breasted Warbler before heading towards the lake side of the
park. The weather improved and it was actually getting warm, we added American
Wigeon and a close in White-winged Scoter feeding close to shore with the
Mallards. The birds were still pretty scarce but as usual CSSP usually delivers
something good, so we were very pleased to have crippling close looks at a
Short-billed Dowitcher at the western most point in the park.
just before we saw the dowitcher and as we headed back the skies opened up and
we got thoroughly drenched. The wind off the lake created a significant
chilling effect to most of us. A Lesser Scaup was a bit of a consolation prize.
After the soaking and more negative weather forecast most of the participants
decided to call it a day.
Four participants stuck with me to check a few other spots along the lake. We
were still drying out when the sun came out around noon, the winds shifted from
the east in the morning to the southwest in the afternoon and the temperature
soared to 37C.
We ended a shortened birding day at 1:30 PM with a total of 45 species.
Thanks to everyone who defied the weather predication and enjoyed a relatively
successful outing.
Good birding,  Garth Riley Etobicoke, Ontario rile...@yahoo.com

--- End Message ---