I understand that this board is not normally to be used for discussions, but I
feel it is important to reply to what Miranda O'Hara posted earlier.

As a birder and an angler, I am not happy about this either. But it is legal
to fish in any public water, unless there are specific laws regulating that
waterbody. I doubt that there are for Reesor Pond. It is also important that
there be no confrontation, because it is illegal to prevent someone from
legally fishing. Here is an extract from the relevant law:

++++
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997

S.O. 1997, CHAPTER 41

Consolidation Period: From June 6, 2011 to the e-Laws currency date.

Last amendment: 2011, c. 9, Sched. 27, s. 26.

PART II

HUNTING, TRAPPING, FISHING AND RELATED ACTIVITIES

General Restrictions

Obstruction of hunting, trapping or fishing

13. (1) A person shall not interfere with lawful hunting, trapping or
fishing by,

(a) tampering with traps, nets, bait, firearms or any other thing used for
hunting, trapping or fishing;

(b) placing himself or herself in a position, for the purpose of
interfering, that hinders or prevents hunting, trapping or fishing; or

(c) engaging in an activity, for the purpose of interfering, that disturbs
or is likely to disturb wildlife or fish.

Notice without authority

(2) A person shall not purport to give notice that entry to premises is
prohibited for the purpose of hunting or fishing or that hunting or fishing
is prohibited on premises unless the person has authority to give the
notice. 1997, c. 41, s. 13.

++++

You may wish to contact a group known as the Toronto Urban Fishing
Ambassadors, they are involved in local angling and may be of help in trying
to reach a resolution. http://torontourbanfishing.com/

I would like to see some sort of control, if not an outright ban on fishing
in small ponds that are both important staging areas, and a source of
enjoyment for naturalists. A ban may be asking for too much, as it may
involve several levels of government. But a restriction on some ponds may be
a feasible goal, even if only during migratory periods.

I will be posting a copy of Miranda's post on various fishing boards that I
participate in, in an attempt to educate local anglers about the problem and
perhaps get some feedback about what can be done.

Dave Bailey