Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 24, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             208            686            686
Osprey                       4             18             18
Bald Eagle                   3             46             46
Northern Harrier            13            196            196
Sharp-shinned Hawk          51           2289           2289
Cooper's Hawk                3             41             41
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          1              1              1
Broad-winged Hawk         5458          17135          17135
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             20            110            110
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            17            456            456
Merlin                       0             15             15
Peregrine Falcon             3              4              4
Unknown Accipiter            0              3              3
Unknown Buteo                1              7              7
Unknown Falcon               0              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0             11             11

Total:                    5782          21019          21019

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Don Sherwood, Patrick Mulawa, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had as many as 25 people at one time this morning, though only several
when the Broad-wings were going over in the afternoon. A big thanks to Tim
and his friends from Ohio, who helped us spot several kettles which we may
not have otherwise.

Weather:
This morning there was a brisk wind from the east and north. As the day
progressed, the wind weakened. There was little cloud cover, and we could
clearly see the Canadian shoreline all day.

Raptor Observations:
Today started out slow, but with a promising early flurry of small
Broad-winged hawk kettles. There was then a couple hour lull in action from
11 to 1. Like the discovery of unseen galaxies spiraling above our heads,
it was a bit mind-boggling and awesome to suddenly see what we had been
missing. At about 1:30, we counted over 2,500 high Broad-wings, and
continued to spot them until 5:00. We documented 11 species migrating
today, including our first Red-shouldered Hawk of the year.

Non-raptor Observations:
Over 2,300 hundred Blue Jays flew through today, as well as a flock of 40
Double-crested Cormorants, and several flocks of Canada Geese. A handful of
Monarch butterflies were also spotted.

Predictions:
Tomorrow is predicted to be sunny with winds from the east. Given that many
Broad-winged hawks were moving until late today, it seems likely that at
least some will be moving tomorrow.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org