Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 09, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1731           6762           8082
Osprey                       0              4             22
Bald Eagle                   0             20             74
Northern Harrier             2             45            268
Sharp-shinned Hawk          38            778           3284
Cooper's Hawk                7             31             75
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          4             20             21
Broad-winged Hawk            3            127          17526
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             38            154            288
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             4             48            526
Merlin                       3              9             27
Peregrine Falcon             1             21             25
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              5
Unknown Buteo                3              6             15
Unknown Falcon               0              0              2
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              1             12

Total:                    1834           8028          30252

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Patrick Mulawa,
                  Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
Quite a few people visited us today, including a group of 13 at 3:30.

Weather:
The mist over the water drifted towards the lake like a massive, marching
army at the beginning of our coolest morning yet. The wind always came from
the north today and was very light for the most part, with a peak strength
at around noon (13 km/hr). Barometric pressure was somewhat high today, and
the mercury remained at 30.4 inches all day. We transitioned from nearly
cloudless skies early to mostly cloud-filled skies by 4.

Raptor Observations:
We had a good mix of migrating raptors today, including three falcon
species and three Buteo species. Turkey Vultures were flying over most of
the day, with peak numbers between 12 and 4. Today was one of our best
flights of Red-tailed Hawks yet this season.

Non-raptor Observations:
Double-crested Cormorants were flying over in flocks of over 100
individuals today, and Blue Jays were migrating in large groups too (2,600+
total). We also counted about 50 Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Common
Grackles, and a Common Loon.

Predictions:
Like today was, tomorrow will likely be sunny but cool. Winds are predicted
to be very light all day, which may deter movement of soaring birds.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org