Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 25, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           2040          38528
Osprey                       0              0             23
Bald Eagle                   1             17            141
Northern Harrier             1             35            372
Sharp-shinned Hawk           0            106           4454
Cooper's Hawk                0             51            162
Northern Goshawk             0              2              4
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            136            448
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          17529
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              1           1172           2911
Rough-legged Hawk            0             14             19
Golden Eagle                 1             48             76
American Kestrel             0              4            551
Merlin                       0              3             40
Peregrine Falcon             0              0             28
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              7
Unknown Buteo                0              7             63
Unknown Falcon               0              0              2
Unknown Eagle                0              2              3
Unknown Raptor               0              2             14

Total:                       4           3641          65375

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
Johannes was our only visitor today, and we were especially glad to have
him because just after he arrived, so did the Golden Eagle. We are
convinced he brought good luck.

Weather:
Small blue breaks in the cloud cover made us think that maybe we would
escape grey today, though that proved not to be the case. Aside for another
small incursion of blue at around 1, the rest of the day was grey.
Barometric pressure had dropped by the end of the day, and the wind always
had a westerly component.

Raptor Observations:
The raptor highlight of the day was a mature Golden Eagle, which we very
much enjoyed seeing. It flew directly overhead. We also spotted a migratory
Bald Eagle, a Northern Harrier, and a Red-tailed Hawk. Unfortunately, today
was yet another day where all of the individuals seen could be recalled and
reported without a look at the data sheet.

Non-raptor Observations:
We were excited to see a group of about 100 Snow Buntings fly overhead. At
least ten Great Blue Herons and a Common Merganser were also spotted. Many
thousands of very distant ducks flew over Lake Erie.

Predictions:
The sun will likely make an appearance tomorrow, and winds will have a
westerly component. Hopefully Johannes shows up, so that we can see another
Golden Eagle.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org