Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 30, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           2040          38528
Osprey                       0              0             23
Bald Eagle                   1             18            142
Northern Harrier             1             40            377
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1            108           4456
Cooper's Hawk                1             58            169
Northern Goshawk             0              2              4
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            136            448
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          17529
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              0           1178           2917
Rough-legged Hawk            0             14             19
Golden Eagle                 0             49             77
American Kestrel             0              4            551
Merlin                       0              4             41
Peregrine Falcon             0              0             28
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              7
Unknown Buteo                0              7             63
Unknown Falcon               0              0              2
Unknown Eagle                0              2              3
Unknown Raptor               0              2             14

Total:                       4           3664          65398

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter:        Natalie Cypher

Observers:        Patrick Mulawa, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had a few visitors today, including Paul (visitor), Paul (my
husband),Ken(my dad), and Ben from Gibraltar.  Thank you to all of our
visitors and volunteers that helped this season - we enjoyed all of your
help and your company.  We couldn't do it without you!  Hope to see you all
again next year for some more hawkwatching!

Weather:
Yet one more unseasonably warm November day.  Light SW winds, with mostly
cloudy skies.  Barometric pressure was relatively low again, and lowering
throughout the day.

Raptor Observations:
Another slow migration day, but we doubled yesterday's numbers!  We had 4
migrants - all of different species.  We had one each of Bald Eagle,
Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawk, and Sharp-shinned Hawk.  Additionally, we
had multiple appearances by our local Cooper's Hawk, and our local Merlin
perched in "3 trees" at the end of the day.  Interestingly, a
Red-shouldered Hawk was heard calling from the tree line behind the count.

Non-raptor Observations:
Surprisingly we had one last small push of migrant Crows, totaling 56
birds.  Again, waterfowl totaling the thousands could be seen in flight
lines headed toward Lake Erie.  A small group of 6 Bufflehead was
identified, as well as a flight of 5 Wood Ducks coming out of our nearby
marsh.  While migration was slow, there is always something to see at
Detroit River Hawkwatch!

Predictions:
Today was the last day for the count this season.  Next year will be here
before you know it!
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org