Fifty eight battle-hardened participants conquered the 56th Long Point CBC on
December 17. The adventurous lot took to snow-covered roads in the wee hours of
the morning and accumulated more than 140 party-hours and covered more than 550
km (the majority on foot).

Mostly overcast skies, moderate south-east winds and temperatures ranging from
-5 to 1.4 C provided snow, sleet, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain, and for
brief moments, transcendent rays of sunshine. Legs were twisted, legs gouged by
multi-flora rose, cold faces whipped with dogwood branches, feet wet, and some
had difficulty negotiating sand dunes. Never the less, smiles grew wider,
friendships were strengthened, and traditions rekindled while 30,356
individuals of 111 species were recorded. This is greater than the long-term
average of 28,201 of 101 species. The 'unofficial' complete list is below
(forgive the lack-of taxonomic order).

Highlights: Lesser Black-backed Gull (Port Rowan), Golden Eagle (Walsingham),
Brewer's Blackbird (Turkey Point), Common Raven (new for count!), oh..., and a
Smith's Longspur (new for count! - Concesssion A - still present).

Lowlights: Nary a lowlight on a Long Point CBC.

High Numbers: Fox Sparrow (72), Gray Catbird (6), Hermit Thrush (26), American
Robin (312), Tufted Titmouse (11), Horned Lark (1445 - more than double
previous high), Red-bellied Woodpecker (76), Sandhill Crane (1170),

Lows Numbers: Waterfowl and waterbirds across the board.

Count Week: 114 Species: Misses - Yellow-headed Blackbird - Booth's Harbour,
Peregrine Falcon, Brown Thrasher,

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to all the participants for their
dedication to this long-lasting monitoring effort, and I look forward to seeing
everyone next year.

Cheers,

Stu

'Twas the CBC Before Chrismas
By Greg Cook

Twas the week before Christmas
And all through the land
The birders were roaming
With count sheets in hand
I decided to join
In this count so important
Good data I'd gather
As a birder informant
Rain caused my first count
To be a soggy affair
I feared we would see
Not a bird in the air!
But undaunted we slogged
Through the guck and the muck
Through the drizzle and rain
To count even one duck!
But lo and behold
The birds seemed not to care
On the lake, on the grass
Even up in the air!
They flew and they ate
They squabbled and fussed
In their own birdish language
They argued and cussed!
We excitedly counted:
Was that big flock thirty?
Despite all the rain
It was surprisingly birdy!
We tallied and jotted
We counted and wrote
On count sheets so wet
The ink was afloat
But we stayed and we counted
O'er hill and 'cross swale
To provide soggy data
For (Bird Studies Canada) to detail
All too soon it was over
The count, it was done
Despite all the wetness
I had tons of fun!
I look forward to next year
Another tally to mount
I hope you will join us
For the Christmas Bird Count!
Species

#

RED-THROATED LOON

COMMON LOON

1

PIED-BILLED GREBE

1

HORNED GREBE

15

RED-NECKED GREBE

EARED GREBE

DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT

AMERICAN BITTERN

1

GREAT BLUE HERON

6

GREEN HERON

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON

TRUMPETER SWAN

6

TUNDRA SWAN

282

MUTE SWAN

33

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE

SNOW GOOSE

Snow Goose  Blue form

ROSS'S GOOSE

BRANT

CACKLING GOOSE

CANADA GOOSE

2137

WOOD DUCK

GREEN-WINGED TEAL

AMERICAN BLACK DUCK

593

MALLARD

4429

NORTHERN PINTAIL

5

BLUE-WINGED TEAL

NORTHERN SHOVELER

GADWALL

2

AMERICAN WIGEON

1

CANVASBACK

9

REDHEAD

61

RING-NECKED DUCK

1

GREATER SCAUP

39

LESSER SCAUP

16

Scaup sp

116

LONG-TAILED DUCK

BLACK  SCOTER

SURF SCOTER

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER

1

Scoter sp.

COMMON GOLDENEYE

417

BUFFLEHEAD

75

HOODED MERGANSER

8

COMMON MERGANSER

450

RED-BREASTED MERGANSER

480

Merganser sp.

RUDDY DUCK

59

Duck sp.

TURKEY VULTURE

1

BALD EAGLE

43

NORTHERN HARRIER

62

SHARP-SHINNED HAWK

5

COOPER'S HAWK

6

NORTHERN GOSHAWK

3

Accipiter sp.

RED-SHOULDERED HAWK

RED-TAILED HAWK

34

ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK

12

Buteo sp.

GOLDEN EAGLE

1

AMERICAN KESTREL

2

MERLIN

1

PEREGRINE FALCON

GYRFALCON

GRAY PARTRIDGE

RING-NECKED PHEASANT

2

RUFFED GROUSE

1

WILD TURKEY

127

NORTHERN BOBWHITE

KING RAIL

VIRGINIA RAIL

SORA

COMMON MOORHEN

AMERICAN COOT

168

SANDHILL CRANE

1370

AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER

KILLDEER

1

SPOTTED SANDPIPER

LESSER YELLOWLEGS

SANDERLING

LEAST SANDPIPER

BAIRD'S SANDPIPER

PURPLE SANDPIPER

DUNLIN

WILSON'S SNIPE

AMERICAN WOODCOCK

2

Jaeger sp.

LITTLE GULL

BONAPARTE'S GULL

9

RING-BILLED GULL

40

HERRING GULL

110

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL

1

GLAUCOUS GULL

GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL

11

BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE

CASPIAN TERN

COMMON TERN

ROCK PIGEON

102

MOURNING DOVE

475

EASTERN SCREECH-OWL

5

GREAT HORNED OWL

2

SNOWY OWL

BARRED OWL

LONG-EARED OWL

1

SHORT-EARED OWL

1

NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL

Owl sp.

BELTED KINGFISHER

5

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER

RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER

76

YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER

4

DOWNY WOODPECKER

148

HAIRY WOODPECKER

38

BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER

NORTHERN FLICKER

42

PILEATED WOODPECKER

11

EASTERN PHOEBE

1

HORNED LARK

1445

BLUE JAY

430

AMERICAN CROW

1222

BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE

583

BOREAL CHICKADEE

TUFTED TITMOUSE

11

RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH

31

WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH

113

BROWN CREEPER

30

CAROLINA WREN

23

HOUSE WREN

WINTER WREN

18

MARSH WREN

2

GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET

77

RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET

1

BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER

EASTERN BLUEBIRD

55

TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE

SWAINSON'S THRUSH

HERMIT THRUSH

26

Thrush sp.

AMERICAN ROBIN

312

GRAY CATBIRD

6

NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD

BROWN THRASHER

AMERICAN PIPIT

199

BOHEMIAN WAXWING

CEDAR WAXWING

102

Waxwing sp.

NORTHERN SHRIKE

EUROPEAN STARLING

2458

WHITE-EYED VIREO

BLUE-HEADED VIREO

ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER

NASHVILLE WARBLER

YELLOW WARBLER

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER

5

PINE WARBLER

PALM WARBLER

NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH

COMMON YELLOWTHROAT

YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT

Warbler sp.

NORTHERN CARDINAL

365

DICKCISSEL

SPOTTED TOWHEE

EASTERN TOWHEE

2

AMERICAN TREE SPARROW

1844

CHIPPING SPARROW

2

FIELD SPARROW

6

VESPER SPARROW

SAVANNAH SPARROW

5

FOX SPARROW

72

SONG SPARROW

66

LINCOLN'S SPARROW

SWAMP SPARROW

50

WHITE-THROATED SPARROW

176

WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW

12

HARRIS'S SPARROW

Sparrow sp.

DARK-EYED JUNCO

2167

Dark-eyed Junco oregon junco

LAPLAND LONGSPUR

8

SNOW BUNTING

1893

RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD

383

EASTERN MEADOWLARK

1

Meadowlark sp.

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD

RUSTY BLACKBIRD

44

BREWER'S BLACKBIRD

1

GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE

COMMON GRACKLE

63

BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD

2831

BALTIMORE ORIOLE

Blackbird sp.

PINE GROSBEAK

PURPLE FINCH

40

HOUSE FINCH

112

Finch sp.

RED CROSSBILL

WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL

Crossbill sp.

COMMON REDPOLL

HOARY REDPOLL

PINE SISKIN

AMERICAN GOLDFINCH

329

EVENING GROSBEAK

1

HOUSE SPARROW

568

COMMON RAVEN

1

SMITH'S LONGSPUR

1

SPECIES

111

INDIVIDUALS

30358

Stuart A. Mackenzie
Migration Program Manager
Bird Studies Canada | Études d'Oiseax Canada
PO Box 160, 115 Front Rd. Port Rowan, Ontario. N0E 1M0.
Office: (519)-586-3531 X 162 | Facsimile:586-3532 | Mobile:820-6040
smacken...@birdscanada.org<mailto:smacken...@birdscanada.org>|
birdscanada.org<http://www.birdscanada.org/>
|motus.org<http://www.motus-wts.org/>|birdscanada.org/lpbo<http://www.birdscanada.org/lpbo>

[email_brand]