Hi Ontbirders,
Yesterday afternoon,  we travelled the above roads in this wonderful wetland
area looking for early migrants. Along McKinnon Rd. headed north, just where
the blacktop ends, we heard 3-4 Sandhill Cranes calling off to the NW as well
as about 40 swans in a field 300-400m to the west. To the north, at the
junction with Concession 2 (Sunnidale) was a yellow wing-tagged (M42) Trumpeter
Swam and a half dozen Northern Pintails.  Concession 2 was flooded and
impassable so we back-tracked towards Angus, took Hwy 10 north to Concession 2
and turned right (east) and followed it to the water impass; we flushed several
Killdeer along this road as well as a Rough-legged Hawk. Several large flocks
of grackles, red-wings and starlings were in the wet fields but no Rusty
Blackbirds. We returned to Hwy 10 taking it north to Concession 7 and turned
right (east). This road turns left (north) after a km or two and becomes
Strongville Rd. Shortly up this road, we noted a large flock of Canada Geese
(200 b
 irds) off to the right in a distant flooded field, just in front of a large
wooded area. Off to the left of the geese were about 30 Sandhill Cranes
foraging in the field.
In the next couple of weeks, this area will be a Mecca for waterbirds of all
sorts...and, of course, there is a roosting site for Great Egrets on the north
side of Concession 2, just west of McKinnon Road.
Good Birding,
Chip and Linda Weseloh

Directions