Hi there,

This morning, dropped by the Moodie Drive Quarry pond and birded there from
9:45 until 10:15. Among the approximately 10-12 Common Terns was an Arctic
Tern. The Arctic was identified in flight from the following suite of
characters: slightly more buoyant flight immediately caught the eye;
forward set and short body set off a very long rear to build; and it was
bull-necked with a head/bill GISS that extended less out the front end than
the adjacent Commons. Its upperparts were slightly two-toned, with its
remiges having a glowing quality; the black wedge to the underside of the
hands was very thin. The wings were noticeably thinner than the Commons in
two areas: at the base and at the "hand"; the hand being extremely long and
sharply tapered.

My optics are fogged up now that the rain has hit, so that's it for me at
this site, but I highly recommend dropping by once the rain lifts in the
late aft. The Terns were providing excellent, close views, and ample time
for study (I spent nearly ten minutes total time viewing the Arctic,
ticking off its features, one by one) :)

Also present were two first summer Lesser Black-backed Gulls among the
scraggly Herrings.

Good birding,
Jon
--