From: "Glenn Coady via ONTBIRDS" <birdalert@ontbirds.ca>
Date: Jun 7, 2017 11:30 PM
Subject: [Ontbirds] Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in Newcastle - June 7 - YES
To: "Ontbirds" <birdalert@ontbirds.ca>

Ontbirds subscribers,

Tonight I visited the pond at 3147 Morgans Road in Newcastle where the
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron has been present for the past 5 days.

I arrived at 8:35 p.m. and there was no sign of the bird near the pond or
on the surrounding grass or in the trees. After 20 minutes on site the bird
walked up out of the pond where it had presumably been the whole time. It
walked around the east edge of the pond and up onto the grass for a few
minutes of viewing before it eventually flew a short distance up into the
woods due east of the pond at 9:02 p.m. The west rim of the pond can easily
conceal the bird if it is feeding tucked in behind there.

On my way into the site, I found an adult Franklin's Gull in among a
foraging flock of 100+ Ring-billed Gulls feeding in a bare field opposite
#3554 Third Concession just east of Highway 35/115.

For those thinking of going to the Morgans Road area near pre-dawn or
post-dusk times, I would strongly caution you to drive slowly as there are
many deer here that are used to feeding in the roadside ditches and the
woodland edges.

Directions:  Take Highway 401 to Hwy 35/115 North and exit at the Third
Concession. Go east on the Third Concession 4.9 km to Morgans Road. Turn
left (north) and proceed 300 metres north to property #3147 and the pond in
the distance is where the bird is most frequently seen. Be sure to pull
well off the road and it is probably a good idea to use your vehicle as a
blind.
view/information.ontbirdsguide
Visit the OFO Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/
OntarioFieldOrnithologists