Last weekend, 11 very enthusiastic and knowledgeable young birders, aged 13
- 17, attended OFO's Alan Wormington Memorial Camp for Young Birders.

The camp was held at the Wildlife Research Station off Highway 60. The camp
ran from Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Jeff and Angela Skevington
led the camp with Lisa Bildy and myself helping with transportation and
logistics.

We are grateful to Algonquin Outfitters  (http://algonquinoutfitters.com) for
sponsoring a canoe trip. They provided canoes, life preservers and paddles
and ferried the campers to Hailstone Creek where they could appreciate the
true wilderness and view nesting Sandhill Cranes, many other birds and a
river otter.

The bird tally for the weekend topped out at 98, an excellent total for
this time of year. Birds included most of the boreal specialties: Gray Jay,
Boreal Chickadee and  Evening Grosbeak. We unfortunately missed Spruce
Grouse, not for lack of trying.

As well as birds, most of us got looks at the big three mammals: a wolf,
bears and moose.

Campers were able to accompany the small mammal researcher as she checked
the trap lines, got to learn about turtle research and got up close and
personal with Henry the Snapping Turtle. We went herping, learned about
mushrooms and botany, insects and general ecology to round out the
experience.

A huge thank you is due to Jeff and Angela and Lisa who made this possible,
as well as the camp advisory committee: David Milsom, Ian Shanahan, Justin
Peter, Caroline Biel, Isabel Apkarian, Jody Allair, Mark Peck and Lisa
Bildy. I'd also like to thank the Board for their support and OFO members
who have donated to support young birder activities.

We will be posting pictures on our Facebook page soon!

Lynne
OFO President

--
Lynne Freeman