Holiday Beach Conservation Area
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 05, 2017

Turkey Vulture               0           4004          52124
Osprey                       0              1             77
Bald Eagle                   0             25            181
Northern Harrier             0             23            447
Sharp-shinned Hawk           0            345           5200
Cooper's Hawk                0             18            201
Northern Goshawk             0              3              4
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            228            361
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0           5365
Red-tailed Hawk              0            393           1372
Rough-legged Hawk            0              8             25
Golden Eagle                 0             12             24
American Kestrel             0              2           1369
Merlin                       1              2             72
Peregrine Falcon             0              2             54
Unknown Accipiter            0              1              5
Unknown Buteo                0              2             19
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              9
Short-eared Owl              0              0              1
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              2

Total:                       1           5069          66912

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter:        Cindy Isenhoff

Observers:        Carol Pitts, Cramer, Ed Pitts

Visitors:
The park is now officially closed, so very few visitors at the tower.
Several people were out walking their dogs.

Weather:
DISMAL....warm with no winds to speak of, but so much fog the entire count
that the cabins at the hunt club were barely visible.  Never saw any of the
Visibility landmarks, not even the Lake Erie beach!  Temperatures ranged
from 13 C to 13.3 C, winds were constant southerly, but never even made it
over 2.2 kmph.

Raptor Observations:
Observing anything was next to impossible...unless it flew over the tower,
we could not see it.  We had on early Merlin, and that was the only raptor
today.  There is a chance other raptors were migrating, but none were seen.
 Toward the end of the count we did hear a Bald Eagle calling, probably a
local.

Non-raptor Observations:
Again the fog made anything further than 1/4 of a km impossible.  We had a
large group of American Coots close to the tower (300+); Gadwall, American
Wigeon, Mallards and a few other common waterfowl.  Several mixed Blackbird
flocks moved through, and when one landed we saw 12 Rusty Blackbirds--a
nice find.  Song Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows, and Swamp Sparrows
around the tower.  Still hanging around were a couple of Ruby-crowned
Kinglets, and the usual other local dwellers like Yellow Shafted Flicker
and Downy Woodpecker.

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks promising...cooler temperatures, but NORTH winds...so get to
the tower early if you can!
Report submitted by Cindy Isenhoff (akahawkla...@aol.com)
Holiday Beach Conservation Area information may be found at:
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100