Hi Ontbirders

There is an immature female Anna’s Hummingbird visiting a feeder in
Carleton

Place which is located west of Ottawa. This is the first accessible Anna’s
Hummingbird for southern Ontario and one of the few for Ontario. This bird
will generate lots of interest.

The hummer was first observed on November 3 and I was asked to view it on
November 10. On this date I determined it to be an Anna’s Hummingbird. A
few small groups were able to view it on November 11 and 13 but due to the
sensitivity of the situation, it wasn’t until November 16 that an agreement
was arranged for a general alert.  This could change at any time resulting
in the homeowners removing the feeder from their premise.

The homeowners do not want anyone on their property, but it’s possible to
view the feeder from Mackenzie St, between Dufferin and Thomas.  Look
southeast opposite #61 Mackenzie over two backyards. The third yard has a
wooden fence with a standard hummingbird feeder on it.

The hummingbird shows up early, usually shortly after 7:30 and feeds a few
times every 10-20 minutes depending on the temperature. A scope is
necessary to identify the bird.

Please park on Dufferin or another nearby street but not Mackenzie.  You
can view from the edge of the road, at 60 Mackenzie. Please do not go onto
the lawn.  Neighbours have been very pleasant to birders who have seen it
and we would like to keep this as a positive experience for them!

Good luck,

Bruce Di Labio

Carp, Ontario

613-715-2571

Directions: From southern Ontario you can take Hwy 401 to exit #544 and go
north to Hwy 7 via Tweed. Turn right and drive east towards Ottawa. As you
near Carleton Place turn left on Townline Road and continue to Dufferin St.
Turn left and follow to Mackenzie.

Bruce Di Labio
P.O.Box 538
Carp,Ontario