Today on the Joly Strong boundary road I came across a large group of finches
picking at the sand/ salt on the road.

This group was made up largely of Pine Siskins 60, Am Goldfinch 40 and  Purple
Finch 15  but also some 20 odd White-winged Crossbills and 8 Red Crossbill.
White-winged Crossbills may be on the increase as I have seen small groups on
roads in various locations in the Sundridge area.

Sundridge is located about halfway between North Bay and Huntsville on hwy 11.
From Sundridge take main st. north which becomes Forest Lake rd to Joly Strong
boundary left hand turn.