This afternoon Daniel Riley and I counted 51 Red-throated Loons off of the end
of the Port Weller east pier, in St. Catharines, Niagara Region. Due to the
calm weather the viewing conditions were quite good, making it much easier to
count waterbirds than how it has been recently. Many of the loons were
relatively close (less than 300 m off shore), though some were quite distant;
it would be interesting to know the true number present. Most of the loons were
straight out off of the end of the pier, from the entrance to the canal east to
the lighthouse off of the eastern tip, and beyond to the east - none were west
of the canal entrance. I have been visiting Port Weller at least weekly and so
far this year my highest count of Red-throated Loons had been 3, presumably all
wintering birds. Most likely these 51 birds today were early spring migrants.
Interestingly, not a single Common Loon was present. While high numbers of
Red-throated Loons are often seen in western Lake Ontario during autumn
migration (generally mid-late November), in the spring large numbers are rarely
reported. It was certainly the most I have ever seen on the water at one time
in Ontario, and it was a pretty spectacular sight.

Birds of Hamilton by Bob Curry mentions several high counts of Red-throated
Loons in western Lake Ontario during the spring, including 103 migrating past
Woodland Cemetery, Hamilton on 10 April 1994 (Bob Curry, Rob Dobos et al.) and
68 migrating past Woodland Cemetery on 11 April 2000 (John Olmsted). He also
mentions that the high count on Lake Ontario during the spring is only 11 birds
on 3 June 1984 along the Burlington lakeshore (Mark Jennings, Paul Martin, Ian
Richards).

To get to the Port Weller east pier, take the Niagara Street/Regional Road 48
exit from the QEW in St Catharines, and drive north towards Lake Ontario. Stay
on Niagara Street for 5 km, then turn right onto Lakeshore Road. Drive over the
Welland Canal and take your second left onto Seaway Haulage Road, approx 500 m
after crossing over the canal. Follow Seaway Haulage road north towards the
lake. it will turn into Broadway, follow Broadway to the end and park in the
little parking lot at the terminus of Broadway at Lake Ontario. Follow the path
towards the end of the pier.

Good birding,
Josh Vandermeulen
joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com