Greetings Ontbirders

Presqu’ile Bird Report for the week of 27th July to 2nd August 2018

Highlights: YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, CAROLINA WREN, HOODED
WARBLER

This week shorebird migration slowed down with no new species arriving on the
beaches. The beaches look very good  with algae forming south of beach 3 and
the next weather front should bring in some new birds. Songbirds on the other
hand have picked up with quite a few new arrivals. One wonders if fires up
north are moving birds south sooner?

The first RUFFED GROUSE in awhile were seen on trails July 30th and Aug 2nd.
Both CUCKOOS were seen in the Park this week. The YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO was
spotted on the 27th and 28th on Paxton Rd between the bend and the north end of
the paved Newcastle trail. The BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO was photographed nicely on
the 30th exact location not known.

VIRGINIA RAILS and COMMON GALLINULES along with both AMERICAN AND LEAST
BITTERNS are still being reported from the Marsh Boardwalk this week. The same
mix of SHOREBIRDS that have been reported all week mostly from Beach 3 south to
Owen Pt include SEMIPALMATED PLOVER with a high of 9 birds on the 1st,
KILLDEER, SANDERLING high count of 15 birds on the 2nd, LEAST SANDPIPER high of
3 on the 1st, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER a high of 21 birds again on the 1st.
WILSON’S SNIPE and  SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

RAPTORS in the Park include NORTHERN HARRIER seen a couple of times once at the
Calf Pasture on the 30th and on Salt Pt today. COOPER’S HAWK has been reported
a few days this week. Most sightings again off Paxton. A photographed immature
BROAD-WINGED HAWK on the 31st in the Newcastle Woods area is rare at this time
in the Park. RED-TAILED HAWKS were also reported twice this week. The only OWL
reported again this week was a BARRED OWL north of Stonehedge Cottage calling
on July 30th. MERLINS have been seen most days this week perched in a
Cottonwood near the north end of the paved Newcastle trail and Salt Pt.

Presqu’ile always good for WOODPECKERS had 7 species this week with
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS being reported this week most likely some of the very
few breeding birds offspring. The others are RED-HEADED WOODPECKER being seen
all week from 83 Bayshore Rd. This bird sporadicly comes into the yard in
search of peanuts. Although RED-HEADED’S breed here last year no young have
been seen as of yet this year. RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER, DOWNY, HAIRY, NORTHERN FLICKER AND PILEATED WOODPECKERS have all
been reported.

Seven species of FLYCATCHERS were reported. EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE can still be
heard in most wooded areas. A YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER heard and seen on
Paxton on the 28th. WILLOW FLYCATCHERS a couple of days this week along the
Owen Pt trail. LEAST FLYCATCHER mostly heard along Paxton, EASTERN PHOEBE,
GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER still being heard from woodlots and EASTERN KINGBIRDS
seen all week in numerous locations some still with young in tow.

The pair of CAROLINA WRENS are still being seen and at times heard at the
Lighthouse. The male was singing up high in a tree and the female was down low
giving a chatter call! Anyone who can enlighten me on breeding behaviour and
whether this is some sort of courtship ritual please email me privately.
BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER appeared at 83 Bayshore on the 29th and 30th. Family
groups of HOUSE, PURPLE and AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES can be seen flying around
feeders in residential areas in Park.

A total of 13 WARBLER species were spotted in Park this week the best being a
female HOODED WARBLER that enjoyed the bird bath’s at 83 Bayshore Rd briefly.
Most warblers came in on the 28th and stayed a few days before possibly moving
on include NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, BLACK-AND-WHITE, TENNESSEE, NASHVILLE, COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, AMERICAN REDSTART, numerous CAPE MAY, BLACKBURNIAN, YELLOW
WARBLER  which have really thinned out last couple of days, CHESTNUT-SIDED
WARBLER, PINE and a lone YELLOW-RUMPED. Most of these warblers were seen by
walking a loop from Lighthouse up Paxton to paved part of Newcastle Trail the
south on paved trail. If you take the second cross-country ski trail on the
left it brings you back out just north of Lighthouse on Paxton. A great way to
locate both resident and migrating songbirds.

The first SCARLET TANAGER of the fall was at the Calf Pasture on the 29th and
another at 83 Bayshore on the 1st. Also at 83 Bayshore the first ORCHARD ORIOLE
in almost 10 days appeared briefly on July 1st.

Thanks to the Park Staff and all others who reported their findings!

> Presqu’ile Provincial Park is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario,
> just south of the town of Brighton.  It can be reached from either Hwy. 401
> or Cty. Rd. 2 and is well signed.  A Park map can be found in the information
> tabloid available at the Park gate.  Presqu’ile’s two offshore islands – Gull
> and High Bluff – support a large multi-species colonial bird nesting area and
> access is not permitted during the breeding season.

Bill Gilmour