Ontbirders,

This is my second and summary report for the period 7 to 13 August 2018 from
Longridge Point (51.798942N, 080.69204W) on the southwest coast of James Bay
in Ontario about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. This report pertains only
to Longridge. The vast tidal mudflats make James Bay one of the most
important shorebird stopover sites in North America.

LINK to 10 pages of photos and videos.
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2018/JB18/p1.htm

SHOREBIRDS: We recorded 26 species of shorebirds from 31 July to 13 August.
Notable counts since last report:

Black-bellied Plover: 154 adults on 11 August
American golden-Plover: 7 on 10th
Semipalmated Plover: 100 on 9th and 10th
Hudsonian Godwit: 636 on 12th
Ruddy Turnstone: 956 on 12th
Red Knot: 361 on 11th
Sanderling: 340 on 12th
White-rumped Sandpiper 4600 on 12th
Pectoral Sandpiper: 80 on 12th. First juvenile on 10th
Semipalmated Sandpiper high count: 2679 on 10th
Wilson's Snipe: 35 on 11th
Greater Yellowlegs: 65 on 12th
Lesser Yellowlegs: 182 on 10th

OTHER SPECIES
Black Scoter: 775 on 9th
American White Pelican: 5 on 12th
Rough-legged Hawk: 1 on 11th
Sora: 3 on 8th
Sandhill Crane: 45 on 11th
Bonaparte's Gull: 1135 on 12th
Little Gull: 1 adult on 9th, 10th & 11th, and 3 on 12th - adult and 2
juveniles (Doug McRae took photos)
Caspian Tern: 1 adult on 12th
Arctic Tern: 1 adult on 12th
Common Nighthawk: 1 on 9th
Olive-sided Flycatcher: 1 on 8 and 9th
Blackpoll Warbler 10 on 12th

LONGRIDGE CREW: 7 crew members were Isabel Apkarian, Jean Iron, Doug McRae
(crew lead), Michael Runtz, Hannah Shinton, Riley Walsh and Ross Wood

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Surveys are under the direction of Christian Friis of the
Canadian Wildlife Service (Environment and Climate Change Canada) with
partners Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Trent
University, and Bird Studies Canada in conjunction with a larger
conservation initiative involving James Bay First Nations and Nature Canada.

We look forward to James Bay receiving recognition as a Western Hemisphere
Shorebird Reserve Network.

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway
Toronto, Ontario on 22 August 2018