Ontbirds Subscribers:

An update to those considering the hike through the sedges both today (to
and from the Old Airfield) and over the coming weeks.

The water level along the Ottawa River here is similar to the level it was
at this time last year. The walk through the sedges is a wet one, with
standing water ranging from 3-4” to tip of boot height. Boots are a must.

We had four Nelson’s today, with all four being relatively close to the
Sand Point parking area. We had them between 1 and 1.4 km from the parking
spot at Sand Point. We walked along the sandy ATV trail to the south of the
beach for about 500 meters then cut N to the beach.

We ended our walk at the little sedge island surrounded by channels of
water; we had a Nelson’s there, as well.

In all cases we flushed only once then moved along.

Good birding!
--
Jon Ruddy
Eastern Ontario Birding