Hello Ontbirders,
I was asked to post a request on Ontbirds from researcher Bruce Buckingham in
order to alert birders here in the Lake Ontario-Lake Erie area and beyond to be
on the lookout for color-banded Herring Gulls dispersing from his study area in
locations near Port Clinton, Ohio, Lake Erie. Bruce says -

Here is some information on my Herring gull research.  220 Herring gulls (100
adults and 120 juveniles ) were banded during the 2018 breeding season with
both the USGS metal band and a white color leg band with a number/letter/number
code on each color band. Research is being done to determine their migration
routes and wintering areas. Part of the study is to see change in plumage of
young Herring gulls during their first 4 years before breeding.  If someone
should see a color marked gull they should report it to the US Bird Banding Lab
at reportband.gov<http://reportband.gov/>. The more reported sightings we get
the more data is collected to better understand these gulls.  If you could help
spread the word I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Bruce Buckingham

Cheers,
Chip