Birders,

December 1 marked the first day of winter listing,  the period of time running
until February 28. I will be compiling the winter bird list in Ontario again
this year. Approximately 348 species of birds have been recorded in Ontario
during the winter period, with 200 to 220 species typically recorded in a given
winter. Last winter 200 species were recorded which represented the second
lowest total out of the last eight winters. Despite the relatively low total
there were many highlights, including the first Townsend’s Warbler for the
all-time winter list, as well as Black-throated Gray Warbler, Northern Gannet,
Nelson’s Sparrow, Eurasian Tree Sparrow, American Bittern and early migrant
Lesser Yellowlegs.

We are already off to a good start this winter with the Great Kiskadee
miraculously appearing again, representing the first winter record for Ontario.

Just post your sightings to Ontbirds (if sufficiently rare),
ebird.org<http://ebird.org> or send me an email, and I will update the list
accordingly and provide an update to Ontbirds every couple of weeks. That way
you can check the list and inform me of any species that have been seen but are
not present on the list.

The list can be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/myyulvs . I have also provided a
link on my blog, located at
http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.ca/p/ontario-winter-bird-list.html . I try to
update the spreadsheet every couple of days or whenever I hear of a new
addition. Please let me know if you hear of a new addition or any other
correction to the spreadsheet.

Good (winter) birding,
Josh Vandermeulen
joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com<http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com>