Birders

There were two Slaty-backed Gulls at the Brantford landfill site today (12
December). The landfill site is at the south end of Morrison Rd off of Mohawk
St, Brantford. Mohawk Lake is very close by on Greenwich St which is also off
of Mohawk St. Exit 403 in Brantford at Wayne Gretzky Parkway and head south on
parkway to Colborne St lights and turn left onto Colborne. Turn right onto
Locks Rd which becomes Mohawk St at the bottom of the hill. Greenwich is first
on your right and Morrison St is afterwards on your left.

The bird was not seen at Mohawk Lake today as far as I know. In fact almost no
gulls were seen at the lake today. The employees at the landfill will
accommodate birders but you have to sign in and park and stand where they tell
you to. The birds were easily seen from this vantage point today. I will copy
some emails that were circulated today from the HamiltonBirds network. Also
some photos can be seen of the two birds from the link below (HamiltonBirds)
and both birds can be seen together in one of the photos from one of the posts.

The dump is open Monday to Saturday but closed on Sunday. On Sunday the birds
could be found at Mohawk Lake or on the Grand River at Colborne St and Brant
Ave were large numbers of gulls sometimes loaf.

Bill

Ellen Horak <ellyho...@gmail.com>
Wed 2018-12-12, 2:46 PM
HamiltonBirds;
birdalert@ontbirds.ca

As a concession to kicking us out from the landfill they gave a few of us
access to the dike road overlooking some fields and a Slaty- backed Gull was
seen!! This was “James bird “ with the yellow bill. A number of us were lucky
enough to see it before it flew back into the dump face. So worth checking the
landfill tomorrow. Not sure if they will allow access to the dike again. Please
remember to follow all directions and consider carpooling as the staff said
they might have to shut down access if it gets too crazy. You have to sign in
and out at the weigh scales.

ellen  Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 12, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Ellen Horak <ellyho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> SBGU not been refound since 12:30. They are not allowing birders in for the
> rest of today. Its been a bit disruptive to their operations but they have
> been very accommodating. We are welcome to come back tomorrow (Thursday)
> where they will have an area set up for us.
>
> ellen  Sent from my iPhone

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en?hl%3Den#!topic/hamiltonbirds/EOs5ZJzkHGE
[http://www.google.com/images/icons/product/groups-128.png]<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en?hl%3Den#!topic/hamiltonbirds/EOs5ZJzkHGE>

Slaty-backed Gull(s)(?) at Brantford