On December 27th, 38 hearty field and 20 feeder observers participated in the
68th Carleton Place Christmas Bird Count.  It was a cold day with sun in the
morning and cloud in the afternoon.

This years count is very close to our 10 year average with over 5400
individuals and 45 species.  Despite this we had a number of records set and/or
tied for:

Mallards at 68
Wild Turkeys at 498 – keep setting a new record every year
Coopers Hawk 3 – tying the old record.  One lived in my backyard on count day
enjoying the Starlings for snacks
Snowy Owls 3 – tied the old record, all close to Hwy 7
Barred Owls 3 – a new record
Pileated Woodpecker 18 – a new record
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 – tied the old record
White-breasted Nuthatch 176 – a new record

We also had a hand full of Rough-Legged and Red-tailed Hawks, as well as 1
Kestral.  After several years of Juncos being at record levels their numbers
collapsed.  Handfuls of Pine and Evening Grosbeaks as well as Redpolls and
Siskins were seen.  Waxwings were back in abundance after few to none for
several years, with 630 Bohemians and 188 Cedars seen.  As always the Bohemians
maintained their coolness by wearing berets, smoking Gaulois and discussing
Proust.

Happy Year’s End to all and best wishes for 2019

Cheers

Iain CBO DSBC (NC)