Ontbirds subscribers,

This post is made with the permission of Ontbirds coordinator Mark Cranford.

I wanted to make a post to tell his many friends that today was long-time
Toronto birder Harry Kerr's 100th birthday.

I held off on posting this until now because when I spoke to his wife Eileen
this morning she told me that they were awaiting some important calls and
didn't want to risk tying up their phone line on the last regular business day
of the week.

In the era before Ontbirds and in the aftermath of Jim Baillie's death, Harry
Kerr became the key person in the dissemination of information on good birds
found locally in Toronto, as well as tremendous rarities seen across the entire
province. It was normal for Harry to answer or return many dozens of calls
every night. To a young teen birder in Toronto like myself, perhaps only a call
from Cheryl Tiegs would have produced more exhilaration than a call from Harry
Kerr with information on the latest mega-twitch. Harry was also listed in books
and foreign birding gen as the number to contact for visiting birders from all
over the world. Harry always had his finger on the pulse of where and how
reliable the good bird sightings were, practically up-to-the-minute some days.

Long-time Toronto area birders Don Perks and Gerry Bennett, whose birding eras
both extended back to the 1930s,  both contended for many years to anyone who
would listen that no birder in the history of Ontario was responsible for
supplying more information on bird occurrence that allowed more birders to add
life birds to their Ontario lists than Harry Kerr. I would only add that NO ONE
is even a close second!  Harry was a work horse! He takes it a bit easier now,
but I think we can cut him some slack.

It also didn't hurt that all this dedicated service was coming from one of the
nicest and most upbeat and inclusive characters one might ever wish to meet
too. Harry is simply a prince of a fellow. One of those guys who always leaves
you feeling in a better mood than before you talked to him. Always.

Despite his move with Eileen to live with their son in the Ottawa Valley a
decade ago, I keep in touch, and he is always keen to hear what is going on in
the southern Ontario birding scene - some things never change!

I am sure that this weekend Harry would be happy to receive calls and well
wishes from those many old friends who know and remember him fondly. Those
wishing to wish him a happy 100th birthday this weekend can call him at
613-692-9509.  Tell him some kid from Parkdale sent you.

Good birding this weekend,

Glenn Coady
Whitby, Ontario