Hey folks,

I was out to do the first Ontario Shorebird Survey for this year at the
wetlands and despite the rotten weather I had some great birds.

There were 3 RED-NECKED GREBES in the fenced in cell and at least one (which I
was able to photograph) was in pretty much breeding plumage and looking
awesome!  The others were sleeping and kept their heads tucked in so I wasn’t
able to get much on them for colour or plumage.

There were also 7 HORNED GREBES in the largest cell at the back! 6 of these
birds were hanging loosely together but appeared to be paired up. The 7th bird
was alone in the NW corner of this cell and was in transition between basic and
breeding plumage.

I should also mention that I had a strange looking Green-winged Teal male…. the
face on this bird was very tawny pale and contrasted sharply to the green on
the upper part of the head so the bird really stuck out like a sore thumb
compared to the other male GWTE around him. This bird also exhibited almost no
vertical white stripe by the breast. Not saying it’s anything more than perhaps
a plumage aberration but perhaps someone else can get a look at it or a photo
and see what they think.

Otherwise, there’s a decent variety of waterfowl species and I watched several
flights arrive as I was heading back around to my car so you never know what
else may have dropped in.  :)

Note that Wednesday’s weather is looking WET and WINDY which may hold these
birds over for the next couple of days… while Thursday is looking much more
pleasant and it may be worth a visit that morning.

My eBird checklist (and you can click the map icon for directions) can be found
here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55617655
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55617655>

Good birding!