Nineteen birders from across the Province arrived in Rainy River on June 6^th eager to find some of the area’s specialties. Many of them couldn’t wait, so we headed out that evening along Wilson Creek Road. Patience was rewarded when we found a LeCONTE’s SPARROW perched in a small willow giving everyone fabulous scope views for more than ten minutes. Soon afterwards a SHORT-EARED OWL flew in front of our motorcade as we drove slowly down the road. Rounding out the evening were the night sounds of AMERICAN WOODCOCK and EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL.

The first CONNECTICUT WARBLER of the season had been found two days earlier so we decided to head there first thing on Friday morning, June 7^th . Sure enough, the bird was singing non-stop in the tamarack and spruce woods along Highway 619. Next up was a known SHARP-TAILED GROUSE lek in a distant field along Highway 621. They weren’t dancing as there were raptors in the area, but the heads of two vigilant birds were seen keeping watch. The first of a number of WESTERN MEADOWLARK was found on Worthington 3 Road, as well as a BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE, BREWER’S BLACKBIRDS and SANDHILL CRANES. Farther north were the first of many SEDGE WREN.

Heading west on Blue 3 Road the only known MARBLED GODWIT did a raucous fly-by with a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW singing from a nearby fencepost. From there we drove south on Worthington 1 Road and again a LeCONTE’S SPARROW was spotted high in a willow bush affording everyone scope views. Rainy River sewage lagoons was next, and didn’t disappoint with WILSON’S PHALAROPE. A quick stop in town produced CHIMNEY SWIFT and we then we headed for a picnic lunch at the old Oak Grove Camp. In addition to a colony of PURPLE MARTIN the group also recorded a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and a pair of YELLOW-THROATED VIREO.

Driving north and east along River Road we saw a pair of RED-HEADED WOODPECKER at a nest hole, then on Antonson Road and another pair of RED-HEADED WOODPECKER. We were unable to make the boat trip to Windy Point as the pontoon boat that has served OFO well in the past was out of commission with a burned out motor and all the other boats were booked by fishermen. Nevertheless, most folks were able to get scope views of YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD from the dock at Harris Hill Resort through the heat haze of an astonishing 34^o C. Throughout the day we had been seeing AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN flying overhead.

We took a break from the heat and went for dinner in nearby Baudette, Minnesota. The only restaurant in Rainy River had burned down two years earlier so crossing the bridge to the U.S. for dinner was the only practical choice! Later that evening, back in Canada, some participants went “owling” while others went off on their own to explore the area. The owling group once again found SHORT-EARED OWL, then split into a half dozen who went to Fred’s Marsh while the others continued driving the area roads in search of night birds (and had good looks at AMERICAN WOODCOCK and EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL). Fred’s Marsh was not productive. Water levels again seemed too low for Yellow Rail, and few other birds were noted.

Saturday morning we began the trip at the Highway 621 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE lek where we watched seven birds fly into the lek and, a few minutes later, start performing. From there we drove back to the Highway 619 location where most participants jumped the ditch and bushwhacked into the mosquito-infested woods on a deep cushion of moss where they were delighted with close-up views of a singing CONNECTICUT WARBLER. We then closed out the morning at Emo sewage lagoons where we found a great variety of waterfowl.IGHWAY 619 CONNECTICUIT WARBLERHighway

Many participants spent time before and after the “official” one and a half day field trip, and we ended with 139 species overall. Rainy River is a unique ecosystem in Ontario. Alan Wormington was the first to recognize this, and anyone since then who has visited the region will certainly agree. We thank Dave Elder for spending two days with us scouting the area before the field trip started, and everyone who participated in the trip for making it a success.

Chris Escott & Nick Escott

--
Chris Escott
151 Burbank Drive, Toronto M2K 1N9