Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 05, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               2              2              2
Osprey                       3              4              4
Bald Eagle                  10             13             13
Northern Harrier            10             19             19
Sharp-shinned Hawk           4              6              6
Cooper's Hawk                2              2              2
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           28             52             52
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              9             31             31
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             7             11             11
Merlin                       0              1              1
Peregrine Falcon             0              1              1
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                      75            142            142

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Mark Hainen, Patrick Mulawa,
                  Raburn Howland

Visitors:
We had a couple of welcome visitors today although the traffic through the
sky was less than we would have liked to show them. It picked up after they
left....hmmm?

Weather:
High barometric pressure through most of the day but tailing off late. The
skies were constantly changing and snapshots taken at different times
during the day would convince those not present that they were not taken on
the same day. It was time to put on the big-boy pants as a cool wind off
the lake from ENE going to a more southerly direction during the day made
for a brisk early fall day.

Raptor Observations:
We are starting to see some diversity with 6 migrating species counted
today and a couple more local species noted. Although bald eagles can be a
difficult call because of the local population we did see a number of them
flying with a definite purpose in mind and following the protocol to be
counted. Broad-winged are starting to come in small flights with 23
throughout the day. Sharp-shinned hawks started to fly and kestrels joined
them. The always distinctive Northern Harriers were up to double digits as
well.

Non-raptor Observations:
ONe of the "issues" we have at this site is separating the wheat from the
chaff. At times the gulls and swallows/martins can be challenging to see
through. Avian flak makes the job a little harder as gulls like to kettle
while they hawk insects. Today the birds were fairly distant but when you
are looking for broad-winged kettles the gulls kettling at a distance
demand close attention.

Predictions:
Weather Underground predicts that the barometer will fall and the winds
will be southerly tomorrow. These are not the best conditions for our site
but when this low passes it may look up on Saturday with rising pressures
and northerly winds.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (jerry.jour...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285