Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 17, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              70            111            111
Osprey                       1             22             22
Bald Eagle                   9             33             33
Northern Harrier            11             96             96
Sharp-shinned Hawk         131            844            844
Cooper's Hawk                1              7              7
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk        23603          58761          58761
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             20             87             87
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            36            169            169
Merlin                       1              7              7
Peregrine Falcon             1              5              5
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                   23884          60142          60142

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Frank Kitakis, Mark Hainen, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
The early visitors got another special day of kettles and streams.
Afternoon, not so much. There was a late flow of high flying birds that
satisfied most in attendance.

Weather:
Another day of variable cloudiness that went from full cloud to scattered
by the end of the day. Winds went from NE to mostly E as the skies cleared.
Barometer stayed high with a little tail off in the last hour or so.

Raptor Observations:
Another day that would seem to favor buteo movement with the wind direction
and it delivered. 24 thousand broad-wings started early and made the trip
overhead. A slight lull in the afternoon hours but a few thousand started
up late in the proceedings. Sharp-shinneds were plentiful with 127, 36
kestrels were booked, and harriers were in double digits again. The flow of
BWHA seemed to pull others along with them and we counted 20 Red-tailed
hawks and 59 turkey vultures today. Bald eagles were seen in the streams
and we notched 9 cuts in the eagle stick.

Non-raptor Observations:
The monarchs seemed to return to a more normal flow this morning but picked
up the pace late. When we are busy with kettles of broad-wings the monarchs
take a back seat on the clicker but we estimated approximately 3000 today.
Still a very good count but nothing like the unprecedented day we had
yesterday.

Predictions:
We seem to entering a large high pressure area with high temps and winds
with a more southerly component to them for the next few days. Not usually
conducive to large flights of buteos but there should be some birds on the
move and the broad-wings are definitely trying to get out of Dodge.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (kevin.l.ge...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285