Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 18, 2019

Turkey Vulture              15            135            135
Osprey                       1             17             17
Bald Eagle                   2             76             76
Northern Harrier             2            126            126
Sharp-shinned Hawk          32            955            955
Cooper's Hawk                1             32             32
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           13          24740          24740
Red-tailed Hawk              8            114            114
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             4            299            299
Merlin                       1             36             36
Peregrine Falcon             1              6              6
Unknown Accipiter            2              2              2
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               3              4              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                      85          26543          26543

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagne

Observers:        Cherise Charron, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jim McCoy,
                  Patrick Tomlinson, Steve Wagner

Visitors:
We only had a few visitors and observers today, but were very appreciated
for all their help spotting raptors very far into the blue sky. Thank you
to Steve Wagner, Patrick Thomlinson, Cherise, Neil, Ron, Jim McCoy, Chip
Ogglesby, Bob Hall-Brookes.

Weather:
Today was a beautiful hot day with clear blue skies and 10 km/h winds from
the East. Not a very ideal day for watching migrating hawks but a nice day
spent outside.

Raptor Observations:
Hawk migration came to a screeching halt today. Unfortunately, the wind did
not bring us a lot of hawks and the ones that did fly over traveled very
high and often disappeared in the blue sky. We observed two small groups of
Broad-winged (13), Sharp-shinned (32) , Red-tailed hawks (8) and Turkey
Vultures (15).

Non-raptor Observations:
It was also a slow day for non-raptor species, with our biggest count being
196 Red-winged blackbirds. We are seeing more Blue Jays and getting ready
for their migration.
Insects were flying, enjoying the hot weather and we counted a good number
of Common Green Darners (520), but less Monarchs than yesterday (220).
Our highlight came from seeing a Sandhill Crane flying in front of us!

Chimney Swift: 14
Blue Jays: 34
Cedar Waxwing: 65
Red-winged Blackbirds: 196
Black Saddlebags: 180
Common Green Darner: 520
Monarch: 220

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59909136

Predictions:
Tomorrow will probably be similar to today, with winds from the South-East
all day and a clear sky. Hopefully we will see more raptors, like
Sharp-shinned hawks and Northern Harriers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100