Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 20, 2019

Turkey Vulture              18            155            155
Osprey                       4             21             21
Bald Eagle                   0             77             77
Northern Harrier             2            130            130
Sharp-shinned Hawk         120           1172           1172
Cooper's Hawk                0             36             36
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            5          24779          24779
Red-tailed Hawk              0            123            123
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            10            316            316
Merlin                       2             38             38
Peregrine Falcon             0              7              7
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              2
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              4              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     161          26861          26861

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagne

Observers:        Andy Parsons, Bob Pettit, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent,
                  Patrick Tomlinson, Steve Wagner

Visitors:
Today we were joined by Steve Wagner, Patrick Tomlinson, Bob Pettit, Andy
Parsons, Ron Delacourt, Bob Hall-Brooks, and Rick. Thank you to all for
spotting far-away Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Weather:
Today was a hot day with once again, very little cloud cover and a good
breeze coming from the South. Not very good for a lot of raptors but nice
to be outside.

Raptor Observations:
More Sharpies! On these less favourable wind days, we are counting a good
number of Sharp-shinned Hawks at Demonstration Farms, with a daily count of
120. We also counted a few Kestrels (10), Broad-winged Hawks (5), and two
Merlins.

Non-raptor Observations:
The Blue Jays are finally starting to move. Today we had a daily count of
120 Jays, most of them travelling from tree to tree, not fully migrating,
but soon!
We also counted many Killdeers, Red-winged Blackbird, Cedar Waxwings, and
Starlings.

Blue Jays: 120
Killdeer: 23
Starlings: 77
Cedar Waxwing: 80
Goldfinch: 35
Black Saddlebags: 354
Common Green Darner: 105
Monarch: 15

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59959893

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we will be doing our counting on the tower!! However, we are
expecting winds from the South again. Hopefully the Sharp-shinned Hawks
will keep coming. We are also hoping for more Blue Jays to start moving and
for a few more good kettles of Broad-winged Hawks before the end of the
season.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: