Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 25, 2019

Turkey Vulture             101            306            306
Osprey                       0             22             22
Bald Eagle                   0             85             85
Northern Harrier             5            147            147
Sharp-shinned Hawk         111           1759           1759
Cooper's Hawk                3             45             45
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            1          24802          24802
Red-tailed Hawk              1            131            131
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            52            742            742
Merlin                       9             56             56
Peregrine Falcon             3             12             12
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              2
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              4              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     286          28115          28115

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagne

Observers:        Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jim McCoy

Visitors:
We had a few visitors today including Mike, Jim McCoy, Chip Ogglesby, John
Barnes, Noel, Nancy and Sieglinda. We were also visited by Karen and Bradie
who adopted a lovely Cooper's Hawks and released it from the tower. Thank
you all for stopping by!

Weather:
Today, we experienced pleasant temperatures and a mostly overcast day, with
winds blowing mostly from the South and South-West.

Raptor Observations:
Today was a good day for us, with a daily total of 286 raptors. We had a
lot of variety, counting 111 Sharp-shinned hawks, 101 Turkey Vultures and
52 American Kestrels. To our delight, we counted 4 Peregrine falcons and 9
Merlins!
Even with southern winds, the raptors are still migrating through.

Non-raptor Observations:
It was a slower day for the non-raptor species, only counting 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler, but it was the first one of the season!
We counted a high numbers of waterfowl on the marsh including Widgeons,
Pintails, Shovelers, Wood Duck, Gadwalls, Mallards and Black Ducks.
We are counting more and more Blue Jays flying above us, hoping for bigger
numbers soon.
Additionally, we counted a high number of Tree Swallows (646) feeding over
the marsh during the entire day.

American Widgeon: 40
Wood Duck: 22
Gadwall: 20
Mallard: 231
American Coot: 221
Chimney Swift: 23
Blue Jays: 187
Tree Swallow: 646
American Goldfinch: 8
Black Saddlebag: 99
Monarch: 42

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60116830

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting a nice day with a mix of sun and cloud and winds
from the West for the majority of the day. Tonight, the winds are expected
to blow from the North-west, which might push some nocturnally migrating
songbirds towards the tower, fingers crossed!
We are expecting more Sharp-shinned Hawks and American Kestrels and hoping
for more Northern Harrier and Turkey Vultures.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100