Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 26, 2019

Turkey Vulture              61            367            367
Osprey                       2             24             24
Bald Eagle                   6             91             91
Northern Harrier            21            168            168
Sharp-shinned Hawk         312           2071           2071
Cooper's Hawk                8             53             53
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           10          24812          24812
Red-tailed Hawk              5            136            136
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel           273           1015           1015
Merlin                      12             68             68
Peregrine Falcon             1             13             13
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              2
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              4              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     711          28826          28826

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagne

Observers:        Dan Lumm, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jeremy Bensette,
                  Jim McCoy, Larry Ludwicki

Visitors:
Thank you to all who came to visited us today, we really appreciated your
help spotting Sharp-shinned Hawks and Kestrels out of the sky.
Thank you to Mary and Ron from Oklahoma, Linda and Margo and their family
from Alberta, Sue and Cliff from Peterborough, Shawn Brown from Ridgeway,
the Resas family from Edmonton and the grade 11 biology class from the
Maranatha Christian Academy in Windsor who came by to practice their bird
ID skills.
Also thank you to Dan, Larry, Jim, Noel and Juliette and Jeremy.
Lastly, thanks to Chris and Chip for bringing us an adult Sharp-shinned
Hawk, a male Kestrel and a male Merlin for us to release and adopt. We wish
them well on their migration!

Weather:
We had a very pleasant day on the tower with temperatures rising to the mid
20 degrees Celsius with good cloud cover in the morning and clear blue
skies in the afternoon. The wind was blowing quite strongly from the West
most of the day, switching slightly to the West-North-West for some part of
the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
What a good day for us with a daily total of 711 raptors! Many highlights
but the best one was counting 12 Merlins! We also counted all three species
of falcons; Merlins, Kestrels and one Peregrine falcon to top it off.
As usual we had high numbers of Sharp-shinned Hawks (312) and American
Kestrels (273).
Our other highlight was 21 Northern Harriers, one of which was a beautiful
male gray ghost.

Non-raptor Observations:
Once again, a little bit slower for non-raptor species.
We are counting many ducks on the marsh, with Widgeons, Mallards,
Blue-winged Teals, Gadwalls, and Pintails.
In the afternoon, the Tree Swallows came out onto the marsh to feed and we
ended up with a daily count of 241.
Lastly, the Blue Jays are slowly starting to move, every day we are
counting more, but we are still waiting for the big movements.

Wood Duck: 26
Gadwall: 3
Blue-winged Teal: 5
Northern Pintail: 5
American Widgeon: 77
Mallards: 156
American Coot: 237
Blue Jay: 142
Tree Swallow: 241
American Goldfinch: 104

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60134447

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting a nice day but with mild winds coming from the
South. Our day might not be as exciting as today but we are hoping for more
Sharp-shinned hawks, Kestrels and maybe more Northern Harriers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100