Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 09, 2019

Turkey Vulture            2713          21095          21953
Osprey                       0              4             29
Bald Eagle                   5             26            118
Northern Harrier             2             90            332
Sharp-shinned Hawk          24           1506           3897
Cooper's Hawk               10             73            135
Northern Goshawk             0              1              1
Red-shouldered Hawk         15             42             42
Broad-winged Hawk            0            861          25771
Red-tailed Hawk             28            144            288
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              1              1
American Kestrel             5            379           1600
Merlin                       0             12             93
Peregrine Falcon             1             13             34
Unknown Accipiter            0              3              5
Unknown Buteo                2              6              7
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                    2805          24256          54311

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagné

Observers:        Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jim McCoy, Larry Ludwicki

Visitors:
Thank you our visitors, your help was very appreciated! Thank you to Nicole
and Chris from the University of Windsor, Margaret and Paul coming from
Alberta and Ross and Josh from Bird Studies Canada for their visit.

Weather:
An absolutely gorgeous day on the tower for weather! Started out cooler
with strong winds from the North and North-East, switching to the East
later in the afternoon. The sun warmed us just enough with nothing but
clear blue skies for most of the day.

Raptor Observations:
We experienced a really slow morning, only counting a few Sharp-shinned
Hawks, which was surprising considering the Northern winds. In the
afternoon, when the Turkey Vultures started to fly, that's when the action
began! Of course the clear blue skies meant the raptors were flying very
high, forcing our counters to often lie on the backs on the benches to
count all the Turkey Vulture kettles above our heads. In total we counted
2,713 Turkey Vultures, with 15 Red-shouldered Hawks and 28 Red-tailed Hawks
mixed in the kettles. Overall, a very good day!

Non-raptor Observations:
Once again, the Jays stole the show however, we only counted 18,360 Blue
Jays!
The usual species were coming in high numbers, like Starlings, Cedar
Waxwings, Goldfinches and Red-winged Blackbirds.
We are still getting many species of ducks, the newer ones include Ruddy
Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks and Lesser Scaup.
Also new additions to the marsh are Bonaparte's Gulls, who came in big
numbers (150) and two Rusty Blackbirds.

Blue Jays: 18,630
European Starling: 3,200
Cedar Waxwing: 44
American Goldfinch: 73
Red-winged Blackbirds: 120
American Coot: 222
Killdeer: 24
Yellow-rumped Warblers: 7
Monarch Butterfly: 26

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60488775

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another lovely day, with a mix of sun and cloud,
hopefully more cloud than today, as well as winds from the East.
We are hoping for more (and lower) Turkey Vultures, with buteos mixed in
those kettles.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: