Today, Riley Walsh and I birded the Barrie waterfront. At Minet's Point, we
found 6 Little Gulls - 5 adults and 1 first winter bird. We met Jim Coey at
Kempenfelt Park where 3 Little Gulls were seen - 2 adults and 1 first winter
bird. Then at Allandale Centre Park (Southshore Community Centre) on
Lakeshore Drive there were 2 adult Little Gulls very close, and 1 first
winter. Hundreds of Bonaparte's Gulls are on the Bay and where they
concentrate is at least one Little Gull. Common Terns are still common among
the Bonaparte's Gulls, though numbers seem to be going down. Emerald Shiners
(minnows) are abundant right now. We could not locate the Pacific Loon at
these well-known locations where it has been seen before.

Hundreds of Common Loons were way out to the east, so to get closer we
consulted eBird Hotspots and Google Maps. We found eBird Hotspot Wilkins
Beach  <https://ebird.org/hotspots?hs=L5096368&yr=all&m=> Hotspot Map and
here was the adult Pacific Loon in breeding plumage, also seen by John
Carley and Sue and Bob Codd.

DIRECTIONS (thank you Frank Pinilla):

Minet's Point Park - exit Hwy 400 at Essa Road in Barrie, go north on Essa
about 1.5km, turn right (east) on Tiffin St and at the next lights continue
through where this becomes Lakeshore Drive, follow for 1.6km and turn left
on Minet's Point Road, this winds its way down and to the right until you
see the entrance to the park. Scan the bay from the beach here.

Wilkins Beach Park - from Minet's Point return to Hurst Drive and turn left.
Follow to Crimson Ridge Road and turn left to end.

Getting directions to the best access points is easy using eBird Hotspots
and clicking on the directions. If not familiar with the Barrie Waterfront,
you may wish to join the Ontario Field Ornithologists trip this Saturday.

OFO TRIP TO BARRIE LAKESHORE on Saturday, 12 October 2019, 9:00 am. Leader:
Jim Coey

Meet at the City of Barrie Dock Road Municipal Parking lot at 204 Dock Road,
south-east corner of Dock Road and Plunkett Ct. at 9.00 am. We will look for
migrants in the parks and waterfowl on the lake. Lake Simcoe has had some
surprising birds over the years. Who knows what will turn up? Easy walking,
bring snacks and water. Gulls, waterfowl, loons, and late lingering
migrants.

Happy Barrie Birding,

Jean Iron and Riley Walsh