Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 21, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             319          42520          43011
Osprey                       0              5             35
Bald Eagle                   0             22             73
Northern Harrier             0             74            248
Sharp-shinned Hawk          70           1499           3577
Cooper's Hawk                3             54             65
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0             79             79
Broad-winged Hawk            0            538          64336
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             46            416            531
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              3              3
American Kestrel             0            108            681
Merlin                       2              9             25
Peregrine Falcon             0             27             42
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     440          45354         112707

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 4.75 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Jerry Jourdan, Mark Hainen, Patrick Mulawa,
                  Raburn Howland

Visitors:
Not a day for visitors with impending rain on the horizon.

Weather:
A spanking new day at the watch with overcast skies to greet us; different
textures of cirrus clouds in muted shades of gray, perhaps fifty shades,
made for a very interesting backdrop to our hawk watching duties.  A
strengthening wind off the lake from the SE tickled our faces with cool
airs. A threatening storm system on the radar approached from the west but
we were bound and determined to complete our mission.  We finally had to
submit to the falling rains as we had reached our limit at 1430.

Raptor Observations:
The vultures were not impressed with the weather and a fairly low number,
319, were seen fighting the winds and staying low to the trees. Sharpies
pulled their weight with 70 birds crabbing into the wind trying to stay on
course. 3 Cooper's hawks were also noted. Surprisingly, we had a nice run
of red-tails starting around 1230 but you had to be on your toes to catch
them as they sped by the stacks at high speeds. A couple of red-shoulders
kept them company. 2 merlins were seen today.

Non-raptor Observations:
Our resident bald eagles put on a show for us with four adults interacting
in front of us. The high wind days seem to energize them to get up and
play. Strings of waterfowl were seen in the distance. Some blue jays and
crows did make the crossing but most were early in the day.

Predictions:
Strengthening winds from the SW (up to 20 mph) with a flat but low
barometric pressure does not look too promising. Sharpies may show up along
with some TV's but the strong wind from that direction will probably
discourage a lot of birds.
Report submitted by Jerry Jourdan (jerry.jour...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo -  Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019