Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 08, 2019

Turkey Vulture             692           3770          53006
Osprey                       0              0             36
Bald Eagle                   6             33            226
Northern Harrier            29            110            567
Sharp-shinned Hawk          46            259           5227
Cooper's Hawk               11             30            267
Northern Goshawk             0              0              6
Red-shouldered Hawk         47            145            360
Broad-winged Hawk            1              6          25779
Red-tailed Hawk            373            803           1621
Rough-legged Hawk            2              3              3
Golden Eagle                 3              8             11
American Kestrel             1             16           1726
Merlin                       1              4            111
Peregrine Falcon             2              7             58
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              5
Unknown Buteo                0              1             13
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                    1214           5195          89027

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagné

Observers:        Dan Lumm, Jeremy Bensette, Kit McCann, Kory Renaud

Visitors:
Many visitors on the tower, and I am so grateful for everyone's help, not
an easy day on the eyes!
Thank you Dan Lumm, Kit McCann, Kory Renaud, and Jeremy Bensette for their
really great spotting today.
Additional thank you to Noel Herdman and Dana (thanks you for the coffee
and brownie!) for their help.
Lastly, thanks to Tim Jarrold for taking time out a busy banding day to
bring us an immature Red-shouldered   Hawks to be released from the tower.
Made my day!

Weather:
Another day of North-West winds! Raptors definitely took advantage of the
wind and clear blue skies to migrate very high above the tower. Even if the
sky made it hard to spot the birds, the sun kept us warm and light winds
made the temperatures enjoyable.

Raptor Observations:
What a day! Not only did we count many individuals but we also had 13
different species passing the the tower today! All the usual species, but
also including a Broad-winged Hawk, all three falcon species, Golden Eagles
and Rough-legged Hawks. The most numerous species were the Turkey Vultures,
Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered Hawks. Happy to say that we counted
both light and dark colour morphs of the Rough-legged Hawks.
In the last 2 hours we also counted 3 Golden Eagles, the last one flying
over as the hour rang, still counts! The majority of the raptors flew very
high above the tower, just specs against the blue sky.

Non-raptor Observations:
If you thought the Crows were done migrating...think again! Today we
counted over 6,000 American Crows crossing the marsh...the clicker did not
stop clicking today.
Other highlights included Sandhill Cranes, many Bluebirds, an Eastern
Phoebe, a Fox Sparrow, Golden-crowned Kinglets and  a squabble between a
Swamp Sparrow and a Winter Wren.
Still many ducks on the marsh, including more Buffleheads and a few
Canvasbacks.

Check out our full ebird list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61280738

Predictions:
Winds are to shift back to the South-West with clouds and some sun in the
afternoon. Hopefully the raptors will be on the same trajectory and fly
right over us. We are still expecting Northern Harriers, more Red-tailed
and Red-shouldered Hawks, Rough-legged Hawks and Golden Eagles. Fingers
crossed they'll show!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: