Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 27, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           4199          52407
Osprey                       0              0             35
Bald Eagle                   0             21             99
Northern Harrier             0             81            346
Sharp-shinned Hawk           0            281           4138
Cooper's Hawk                0             35            118
Northern Goshawk             0              1              2
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            562            757
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          64336
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              0           4003           4861
Rough-legged Hawk            0             12             13
Golden Eagle                 0             54             58
American Kestrel             0              5            703
Merlin                       0              2             33
Peregrine Falcon             0              7             53
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                       0           9263         127960

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had one visitor today, a wall of wind visited and we will not soon
forget it.

Weather:
If you think of a low pressure area as a miniature –hurricane, then we
had an experience near the eye today. The day started pleasantly enough
with scattered haystack clouds allowing sun to filter through showing their
highlights to best effect. The winds were very fresh out of the SW, in
double digits mph-wise, but not unusually strong. The cloud formations were
speeding by and giving us some very enjoyable well lit views. Off to the W
the clouds darkened and threatened rain. A small amount started to fall and
deciding that discretion was indeed the better part, we started to retreat
to the safety of our trusty steeds. Before we could reach them a very loud
roar started in the woods. For once in my life I heard the sound of an
approaching train in the wind. A wall of wind hit us, doubling the wind
speed in an instant and carrying all the leaves that had anything less than
a very tenacious grip on their branch. It was an OMGosh moment. The
barometer had been very low at 29.39” and after the all of wind hit it
started to climb slightly. We were near the center of the low just to the N
of us. The winds shifted more to the W a little when it hit. So did one of
the flagpoles down the way, flying Old Glory at a jaunty angle from a newly
bent pole. The rain did not last long, off to the W, a beautiful rainbow
appeared for a few moments but the winds were moving things along very
quickly. We did our due diligence and waited till the afternoon hours but
this was the anti-wind for raptors to move on and so we called it early.

Raptor Observations:
We did get a chance to watch a few local raptors, (bald eagles and a
redtail) fly today. It was a wild ride for all of them. The gulls were
slip-sliding away in the wind as well. Some waterfowl were seen flying
today.

Non-raptor Observations:
As a result of the lake being very rough today, we could see a lot of ducks
had taken shelter in the shipping channel. As we watched the M/V Manitowoc
pass downbound we could see thousands of ducks highlighted by the gray
hull. The channels in the river were showing brown stains today from the
overnight rains. It was easy to use the gulls as wind vanes today as they
flew aligned into the wind.

Predictions:
Ah, the backside of a low. This can be fertile ground for migrating
raptors. The technical indicators look good for the next two days. I think
that there are still birds out there despite the recent drought. Perhaps
the flight is over for the season but tomorrow should tell the tale.
Hopefully, we are far enough away from the violent energy transfer between
the passing low and the new high and have a smoother wind from the N for a
couple of days.
Report submitted by Jerry Jourdan (jerry.jour...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo -  Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019