Hello all,

Hopefully this email is not against the group rules, but I believe this
matter to be of importance to the birding community in Southern Ontario,
and I hope to spark a thoughtful conversation with this email. My name is
Eric Heisey, I am a recent transfer student at the University of Guelph,
originally from Washington State in the US.

Yesterday, I spent much of the day birding in Niagara with a group of my
friends, including well-known Ontario birders Sarah Lamond and Brandon
Edwards. Our primary target for the day was the Black-headed Gull, reported
on Friday. We spent much of the day searching for this bird,
unsuccessfully. It was only once we had already made it to the flyby point
at Niagara-on-the-Lake that we received an OntBirds alert that the bird had
been refound. Curiously however, many observers were fortunate enough to
observe the bird at the Whirlpool after being refound by Jean Iron. We had
driven right by the Whirlpool while it was being seen, unaware of its
presence due to the fact that none of our group is a member of the WhatsApp
group that this bird was reported in. (Check out whatsapp.com if you are
unfamiliar with the application.)

The WhatsApp epidemic is an issue I had not encountered before moving to
Ontario. While I understand the convenience and usefulness of these chats,
especially for their utility in reporting species that may not be
noteworthy enough to warrant reporting in this listserv, there is a
substantial disconnect appearing here. If you are not one of the birders
lucky enough to be included in these WhatsApp chats, if you are relatively
new to the area like I am, if you are not as technologically savvy, you are
going to miss these reports and these birds. Even my friends who are
established and well-known in the Ontario birding community are apparently
not of high enough esteem to be automatically considered for these chats. A
fantastic example is from this morning, where Bill Lamond aptly updated
OntBirds to say that the Black-headed Gull had been seen multiple times
this morning without being reported to OntBirds. The fact that this is the
case on perhaps the busiest gull-watching weekend of the year at Niagara,
is absurd to me. I am of the opinion that OntBirds should be the FIRST
place rare birds of a certain caliber are reported, not a WhatsApp clique
with 50 birders in it. There are hundreds of people on this email listserv,
while the maximum capacity of a WhatsApp chat is only 248 people. PLEASE,
consider this! It does not take long to write a one sentence report to this
listserv! (example: the Black-headed Gull is being seen now (3:30pm) at the
Whirlpool.) This should be the priority if the goal is for people to see
these birds!

I want to bring up a couple of other issues with WhatsApp groups briefly as
well. First, how can any person be expected to be an active member of the
multitude of chats out there? Would it not be easier to report truly rare
birds at one location instead? Again, I understand and appreciate the
utility of these groups at a local scale to report more common species, but
there are certain species we would all like to know about. Even since I
moved here last fall, I have noticed that OntBirds has been used less and
less to report rare birds. I suspect that this my be due to the increasing
usage of WhatsApp chats. Second, if we are intent on a shift away from
these large email groups to WhatsApp chats, we should strive to make them
better known and more accessible. The fact that I am not in the main clique
of Ontario birders should not mean that I, or any other, should have to
miss seeing a rare and amazing bird.

The goal of this email is not to condemn WhatsApp chats, rather, to figure
out a solution to the disconnect between these two methods of rare bird
reporting. I would love to have a productive and thought provoking
conversation about this issue here. Maybe the final answer to rarity
reporting isn't listservs or WhatsApp chats, maybe it is. But for the time
being, I think the priority of rare bird reporting needs to be to ensure
that people have the opportunity to see rare birds. To me, this means
posting to this large email listserv FIRST, and secondarily to smaller
WhatsApp chats.

I look forward to a healthy conversation on this issue! Thank you for your
time and consideration.

Eric Heisey