Highlights: Slaty-Backed Gull( 1st CBC-probably seen-gathering in pictures
to check), Wilsons Warbler (1st CBC), White-fronted Goose (2nd CBC),
Cackling Goose(5th CBC, new high count), Rose-breasted Grosbeak(2nd CBC),
House Wren (2nd CBC), Lesser Black-backed Gull(9th CBC), Glaucous
Gull(23rdCBC) ,

Our 111th CBC in London took place in relatively calm but quite wet
conditions. The drizzle did not let up, and some roads had ice. Despite that
about 34 parties and about 15 feeders took part.

While I do not have all the results in by far, it looks like our number of
species will be about average, at 66, only because we had some great
lingering birds, as the finches and so-called northern species just are not
around.

We did manage one N. Shrike however, but far fewer RB Nuthatches, and no
Purple Finches, Snow Buntings, Longspurs or Horned Larks reported.

Ok, but we had a good bunch of more unusual and rare birds for our Count.

Of special note were a remarkable Wilson's Warbler, unfortunately for winter
listers on private property about 3 km from any road along the Thames River.
New to Middlesex County, an winter adult and a second basic Slaty-backed
Gull were seen and photographed yesterday and there is a likelihood the
adult was seen again today with the other gulls near the Westminster Dump,
resting in a large group near the corner of White Oaks and Scotland Drive,
so the northwest corner of the square of roads around the dump. Apparently
there were conflicting reports, and as there were reports of a Lesser
Black-backed Gull in adult winter plumage there today as well, we will be
studying pictures of the various gulls to make sure it was seen today. I
will be out there tomorrow trying to find it again and will repost it is
found. Of other note, also at the dump, as I say, there were two Lesser
Black-backed Gull, one adult and apparently a First winter bird. Also one
Glaucous but I didn't hear what age.

At the Komoka Ponds, at the corner of Komoka Road and Glendon Drive, just
west of London, 3 White-Fronted Geese and 10 Cackling Geese were reported
amongst over 1200 Canada Geese.

A female Rose-breasted Grosbeak is coming to a feeder, and a final one that
was quite notable  was a House Wren, seen and photographed somewhere along
the South Branch of the Thames upriver from Wellington Road.

Sorry for poor details about locations, but please feel free to contact me
at psrea...@gmail.com <mailto:psrea...@gmail.com>  and I will try to get
specific directions to those.

Besides these special birds we did have a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, several
Eastern Bluebirds, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, Ruddy Duck, Redhead
Duck, and a number of other uncommon lingering species.

Talk about starting the CBC season off with a bang, potentially two new
birds for our Count, and a good bunch of really rare species as well.

More info to come, so I will repost if anything of note is reported.

Pete Read