Dear CBC lovers,

2019-12-14 Barrie ONBA CBC Compiler's Summary

The weather was a "factor" as fog, rain and heavy, wet snowfall made
visibility poor for spotting birds, particularly waterfowl, raptors and
open country passerines.  Generally, birds seemed to be hunkered down
out-of-sight, making birding on foot and pishing the most productive, if
not the most comfortable strategy. However, icy footing, rain and the
heavy, wet snowfall limited foot travel to birders more nimble and better
equipped for the weather.  "There is no bad weather. There is just
inadequate equipment." Group leaders and field observers wisely and
prudently managed the risks and considered their group’s abilities, safely
yielding overall effort numbers very comparable to 2018. However, several
groups were thwarted by the weather and road conditions and unable to
safely get to some parts of their territories.  We had 67 field observers
in 16 parties (there was a party for everyone!) and 20 feeder watchers.
Thus, total individuals 12,832 and total species 61 were both down,
respectively 2,130 (15%) fewer individual birds and 7 (10%) fewer species,
than last year.

I wish to thank all of the participants, and particularly our expert,
dedicated and diligent group leaders, for another safe, enjoyable and
productive Barrie Christmas Bird Count.  You have each made a valuable
contribution to citizen science and to the conservation of birds.

Special thanks:

   -

   to Social Director Christine Beggs for coordinating the delicious
   potluck supper, and
   -

   to all of the 47 contributing potluckers, and
   -

   to Brian Backland for entering and analysing the tally data and for
   archiving the data.

Rarities

Green-winged Teal (American) [Anas crecca carolinensis]

Redhead [Aythya americana] 3

Northern Saw-whet Owl [Aegolius acadicus]

Merlin [Falco columbarius]

Swamp Sparrow [Melospiza georgiana]

cw Peregrine Falcon [Falco peregrinus]

Misses

cw Northern Pintail (female observed regularly before and after CBC)

cw Golden Eagle (observed and photographed by Ken MacDonald)

cw Bald Eagles (adults, 1st year and 4th year birds observed before and
after CBC)

Rough-legged Hawk was not reported on count day, nor during cw, but two
were observed in the CBC circle on January 3rd and others prior to cw, so
the weather likely prevented observation of this species on count day.

cw American Robin

Not unexpectedly, due to abundant food in the north, nomadic winter finches
were virtually absent with only 1 Common Redpoll observed on count day.

There were no other remarkable high or low counts of other species this
year.

A pdf of the tally, including Area tallies, has been posted in our Facebook
Group "Nature Barrie" Files tab, and will soon be posted on
www.NatureBarrie.com under "Christmas Bird Counts" in the "Reports" tab.

Yours in Nature,

Chris Evans, Nature Barrie - Barrie CBC Compiler/Coordinator