I believe the idea is to replace openSSL with
https://github.com/bitcoin/secp256k1 that Pieter and Greg spent quite
some time rigorously testing and have at this point better confidence
in than *SSL libraries.

I think the lessons learned from it as concluded by Pieter and Greg
are that openSSL and derivatives are not focussed on consensus
consistency, such that even if actively maintained and security
reviewed, their own bug fixes can break bitcoin.

Adam