I’m 100% in favor of attempting a hard fork using a far less controversial, far
less risky consensus rule change. We should stop wasting our energy arguing
over stuff we don’t really know and understand and can’t predict very well -
and we should especially avoid using a highly contentious change as our first
hard fork deployment.

I’m also in favor of trying a small block increase before attempting any major
jumps. I don’t think we should be focusing so much on long-term block size
adjustment rules right now - much more critical is to develop a hard fork
mechanism and to make sure we can deploy it. So something along these lines is
probably a step in the right direction.