On 2015-09-01 10:16, Chris D'Costa via bitcoin-dev wrote:
However, I fully agree with Adam that livenet is probably not the
place to play this game, and I'm also not convinced that testnet is
either.

I often wondered if there is any appetite for a no-holds-barred,
anything goes, bitcoin fork that would allow for the kind of valuable
experimentation that Peter R is suggesting? This is a different
concept than an alt-coin because it would be undoubtedly unstable
until consensus is reached - and that is the whole idea. It hopefully
would inform future decisions about what gets rolled into Core. One
problem I see with doing this, is the lack of incentive.

You are describing the essence of sidechains.  You might want to check
out Elements Alpha, which has some outrageous experimental changes to
transaction structure.  It's a technical Bitcoin sandbox which doesn't
require launching yet another altcoin.