I think from discussion with Gavin sometime during the montreal
scaling bitcoin workshop, XT maybe willing to make things easy and
adapt what it's doing.  For example in relation to versionBits Gavin
said he'd be willing to update XT with an updated/improved
versionBits, for example.

It seems more sensible to do what is simple and clean and have both
core do that, and XT follow if there is no particular philosophy
debate on a given technical topic.  This seems a quite constructive
approach.

Adam